- Category: Collaborative Research
The Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) was commissioned by the Agricultural Sector Coordinating Unit (ASCU) to undertake functional analysis of two ministries. The aim objective of the analysis is to assess whether the Ministries of Livestock Development and Fisheries are equipped to effectively undertake their mandate, fulfill their Vision and achieve their core functions as guided by Kenya Vision 2030 and the Agricultural Sector Development Strategy (ASDS) 2010-2020).
Functional analysis is the methodology utilized to undertake this study. Functional analysis examines/reviews the functions that must be performed within an institution to meet the mandate, mission and/or vision. A function is defined as a task, action, activity or series of activities undertaken by one or more persons to achieve a desired outcome, or fulfill one or more missions or objectives of the system or institution in question.
The functional analysis methodology is not widely utilized in Kenya but serves as an important tool for an organization for three main reasons:
- To develop a more efficient and more effective administrative system.
- To provide an opportunity to promote and share good practices within different areas of an organization;
- To integrate various initiatives into normal business operations of the organization.
The functional analysis involves several stages which include:
- Review of relevant documentation, laws and policies of the respective Ministry.
- Review of the Ministry’s Mission and Mandate.
- Basic data survey of selected stations around the country to gain a better understanding of what functions are being performed. This was done in October 2010 through questionnaires administered to key staff, and interviews with key informants in different parts of the country.
- Analysis of the Ministry’s core functions, which include analysis of the data collected, and review of best practices with the aim of determining which functions can be retained with any change; which should be modified; which should be transferred to another public organization, Ministry, state agency, private enterprise of non-governmental organization; which should be abolished; which should be reduced and which ones should be decentralized, especially given the new constitutional dispensation.
- Review of the Ministry’s organizational structure to ensure that the functions of the Ministry are in line with its mandate and mission, as well as Vision 2030 and the Agricultural Sector Development Strategy (ASDS) 2010-2020. The review is also aimed at ensuring that there is no unnecessary duplication of efforts, there is no conflict of interest, and that transactions costs are reduced.
For more information, contact the Head, Productive Sector Division, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis